There are a number of key European policy agendas related to health on which the DIAL research can shed light. This policy brief gives an overview of findings from DIAL projects in this area.
- Deep health inequalities which existed before Covid-19 have been rendered more severe by the crisis.
- Men suffer more than women from the negative health effects of unemployment.
- Protein intake plays a role in causing obesity, type 2 diabetes and heart disease. However, there is no evidence of negative health consequences associated with relative carbohydrate, sugar, or fat intake.
- Each additional daily cigarette smoked during pregnancy reduces birthweight by between 20 and 40 grams, regardless of the child’s genetic predisposition.
- Improvements in infant mortality can be driven by better access to health care, the transmission of scientific knowledge and changes in health behaviour – particularly among disadvantaged groups.